Giving Time Today
Life Better Tomorrow
Volunteer! Enhance your life while making a difference. We will work with you to find a good fit for your talents, interests and schedules. We use volunteers in many capacities. Cottagers that don’t think you can volunteer for anything, this includes you. You are valuable!
HMC is seeking volunteers with expertise in restoration/preservation projects and marketing/communications. If your company is able to provide pro bono work, or if you are interested in offering your time and talent, please contact Dee Hilbert at (847) 636-6355 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
HMC open season is May-October. All volunteer applicants must be 18 years old or older. A three-hour minimum is required for event days. (Events are held outdoors.) Call to schedule an interview.
AmeriCorps NCCC Team Oak 1 after a day of hard work
Family volunteering requires one adult in attendance with up to three underage children.
- Programs: Be a mentor. Volunteer at a children’s arts and crafts project. Help develop new programming. Recruit friends/colleagues to join you in a preservation project.
- Events: Sit on a planning committee. Coordinate volunteers. Obtain resources for events.
- Restoration Projects: Prefer experienced carpenters and painters who have scaffolding and insurance to cover project. Materials and paint will be provided.
- Conservation: Help remove tree limbs/branches, invasive plants around the historic buildings. Special group days are available. Adopt-a-Cottage project allows volunteers the opportunity to spruce up and maintain the surrounding landscape of a vacant property, to help it contribute to the site once again.
- Administration: Provide clerical services. Create HMC handouts for programs and events.
- Museum Docent: Trained educators needed to further the public’s understanding of the cultural and historical collections of this 1860 historic site. Opportunities to conduct further historic research. Good communication skills and recent reference required.
To volunteer, contact Dee Hilbert at deehealthnut@